Thursday, July 24, 2008

I have been broken in....

So Addison has no fear what so ever...there have been a few times I was worried she was one of those random kids that doesn't feel pain...she proved that wrong this morning. We were watching her usual morning cartoons and just like every morning she has gotten in this habit of trying to sneak UP stairs (the catch the poor girl doesn't know how to get down). I know what you are thinking put a gate up...well we have...she pulls it down on top of her every time. Many times I have caught her getting on the first step and then looking through the railing checking to see if I was watching....I say no and she inches away acting like she was just playing. Well, I literally looked away long enough to pick up a bill and as I looked back we caught eyes (not good she tries to get down fast). It was then I saw my little girl fall backwards, HEAD FIRST, from 5 stairs up on to our ceramic tile entry way....I yelled that one famous word and swooped her up as fast as it happened. Her and I both just sat on the couch and cried.....really I know me crying defiantly didn't help the situation, but, it honestly was the scariest thing I have ever seen and the feeling was terrible. I called Dave at work for comfort and he said to take her into the hospital (that is very unlike him) so that made everything worse, then called him back and asked him to call someone to say some prayers thanks GW. I got ready and headed toward the hospital making sure she stayed awake the entire time just in case...we got there they checked her out, she has a goose egg and nice bruise to show for it right on the back of her head. I have now checked on her approximately 5 times in the hour and half she has been asleep and she seems to be doing well....one of the nurses at the hospital told me don't worry this will happen about a million more times in her childhood years and I quickly responded by asking "does it always make you feel like a bad parent" she laughed....and I concluded now that I know my child doesn't have a random pain disorder, she is going to look like she does because she will be wearing a helmet until we get the stairs and walking thing down to a T.
(we may have over reacted a bit, but, it was the first time for us...she is only 10 months)

1 comment:

Megan Miley and Chris said...

That is so sad! I laughed at your last comment about the helmet though haha. And yes I have been forewarned about many accidents to come. The first time Miley threw up I bawled the first time she got a scratch I bawled and so on... My siblings with kids and my mom always tell me there are much worse things ahead of you. Sadly enough I am sure it is true. It is weird there are so many things that you say about Addi that so just like Miley. I honestly was worried that Miley was one of those kids who didn't feel pain. But then I remembered that she cries when she gets shots. And she cries once and a while if it's a big enough injury. We just have tough girls I guess!