The day Hudson was born was a long day. Dave and I were told to call labor and delivery at 5 am to see what time we were supposed to be in. Go time was 6:15.
We drove to the hospital quietly, holding hands, both a little stunned the day was actually here.
I am not known for being the most practical person in stressful situations, my mind is all over the place as it was that morning. I had an overwhelming fear of something happening to me and leaving my two babies without their mom. Dave on the other hand is level headed and knows how to calm me, even if most of the time he calls me crazy. He is right 99% of the time.
We checked in and got settled. Baby looked great, met my nurses, the usual. Then came time to start my IV. After 4 pokes in the same wrist I begged them to just put it in my hand...they mentioned how bad it would hurt and I laughed. The nurse had just spent 30 min trying to get the same vein in the one part of my body that was still skinny. The hand almost felt good at that point.
They started the antibiotics and we waited. Amy brought breakfast for DP. We watched the news and talked about what our little man would be like and how the kids would react. I talked to the nurse about my fears and anxiety and she made me feel a ton better.
4 hours later I was getting my first dose of pitocin. Now the moment I got checked I mentioned the epidural, I didn't want to feel anything. The nurse told me as soon as she saw any sort of contractions she would page the for the magic medicine. They started fast and were no joke. I couldn't talk through them and held on tight to that bed. She pages the doctor and tells me he got called to 2 emergencies before seeing me, awesome. In the mean time the lady in the room next to me was screaming and clearly needed it more than me.
Long story short he was a drill instructor, seriously he was in the army. He scared me and when the first one went into a blood vessel (Dave said I looked dead and as white as the sheet) the way he talked to me made me feel like it was my fault. Second one worked and I was comfortable...time to wait but I had made it to a 4 and 30 min later a 6.
Of course the epidural didn't take fully on my left side, which it hasn't ever with any delivery. The funny thing was I had to lay on my left side THE WHOLE TIME I was in the labor.
Then the scary happened.
I was talking to Amy and Dave laughing about something and suddenly my water broke, only not. I paged the nurse and Dave came to check under he sheet. He went white and grabbed my hand. He wouldn't tell me what was going on and the nurse came in and had the same face when she looked. It was blood, more than what they liked to see. Exact quote "it's a lot but not a ton". Scared, I was scared. They paged the doctor, changed bedding and weighed it for blood..weird. I just kept having everyone reassure me he was ok and I was ok.
Then Hailey came in, yay for a nurse I knew. She was a life saver, she checked the blood made sure I knew what was going on and talked to my nurse to get details. It's just different medical information coming from someone you know and trust.
Once they got a hold of my doctor I was signing waivers for a c-section and getting prepped, just in case. My anxiety went through the roof and I just cried. We kicked Amy out (sorry Amy) and just sat, together in silence once again.
Doctor came in and said I was still bleeding but to get my water broken to see how bad the abruption really was. I asked how fast they could get the baby out if needed, they said minutes. He broke my water and the blood slowed.
Brit came we chatted for a bit and then I felt like I needed to push. I got checked wasn't quite ready waited 45 min and it was time.
One push later this beautiful baby boy was finally here. Everyone commented on how big he looked and his lips. Oh the lips, they are fantastic.
Dave and I loved on him and Britney was next. He didn't look like Addie or Gavin, which puzzled us. He has long toes and fingers, a cute little button nose and a very distinct crease on the bridge of his nose. He wasn't all Wall like we thought, in fact more me. He looked like my brother and 6 weeks later has his smile. My genetics have finally come through.
We were in the hospital for the 48 hrs that is required. Hudson spent the majority of it in the NICU trying to figure out how to breathe without a wheeze. Our babies are just NICU.
Addie and Gavin were able meet their brother before he was admitted to the NICU. Gavin was confused as to why he was a big brother but hadn't "growed up yet" and Addie was in love and her little mommy instinct came right out.
We had our 3 babies and our family, for the first time in a year felt like it was complete. It was and is.
Hudson was our little missing puzzle piece and I am so glad we get to call him ours.
1 comment:
What a day! We love little Hudson and will miss you guys soooo much!
Post a Comment