9/11.
What does this day mean to you?
Why on this day do most people, including me, take a check of their lives? Faith-check, kids-check, husband-check, job-check.
Its like Easter and Christmas, why are those the days most recognize the significance of Jesus. Why are we only thankful on Thanksgiving?
I spent a good majority of the day thinking back to my life in 2001.
I was a sophomore in high school. I was the only sophomore in fact, on the Varsity soccer team. I had a boyfriend, who I "loved". My brother was my closest friend. As well as a Sargent in the Marine Corp. I had a great life, and breezed through it.
Then, came 9/11.
My world like many others came to a screeching halt. We called frantically, my brother, this changed everything for him. We huddled around TV all day in school and the majority of that night at home. The strip in LV was on high alert for weeks to come, that was way to close to home, 10 min to be exact. I remember my dad saying "this will be a day you will never forget". He was right. I can still tell you I was wearing a yellow Gap shirt and my favorite Express jeans, along with of course, my brown Doc Martin sandals. (combat boots with an open toe). That day sucked.
In the end I had nothing to complain about, everyone I loved was alive and well. I was alive and well. Rick continued on with out incident in the Marines. I ended up having a career ending knee injury. The boyfriend lasted longer than expected, but, doesn't compare to what I found in the end. The strip grew into the nastiest place on earth, but, still sits lights and all. My father was right, 10 years later, I still remember.
Tonight as I was tucking in my sweet girl, she said "mom you gotfor that day with the fires". Not realizing she had been paying attention to all the documentaries we watched today, I said "yes, goodnight." She stopped me in my tracks and with a little more urgency said "No, mommy you gotfor, that day with the fires. The ones with the girl running and the hairplanes."
How do you explain this to an almost 4 year old?
I'm not going to lie, with tears running down my cheeks, I said "nope babe, mommy and daddy will never forget that day"
"What happened?" she of course asks. More tears, I explained that sometimes bad people do bad things and nice people get hurt. "Is that what Uncle Ricky does? he gets those bad people" Ugly sobs, "yep". "Like a super hero?". "Yes add like a super hero."
She got it. I don't give her enough credit.
As I sat and held my child, this gift from God, I thought about all of the crap that I think is life changing.
The criticism I have faced as a mother. The 18 year olds that I deal with at work, that are being, well 18. The family I don't talk to nearly enough, and yet wonder every day how they are. The bad drivers. The shitty people of the world (to be quite blunt).
Why do I allow them to effect me the way I do?
I am lucky.
Bottom line, I have 2 great kids, that are my world. I have a husband who loves me good days and bad. I have parents who care. I have health. I have a job, that I love. I have the truth of the Gospel. I have it all. I am living the dream, maybe not your dream, but, its pretty great for now.
Why is it, it took the 10 year anniversary of a tragedy to be made aware? To really look at my life and realize how truly blessed I am.
So on this day 9/11/11, what does it mean to you?
Take a check of your life and see where you end up.
No comments:
Post a Comment