Wednesday, October 15, 2008

When it rains...it POURS!!!!!!!





Life has gotten a little crazy in the world of Wall family #3....I have to start off by saying I am so thankful for my son and the gift of mother's intuition. So in an earlier post I mentioned Gavin was throwing up after a few meals and that we were trying to figure out what it was. I have to share some feelings I had, had at the time that even my dear husband seemed annoyed with...(i do tend to worry and panic about my children's illnesses)...anyway, after a trip to the ER and numerous trips to the Pediatricians office, everyone just kept telling me it was Reflux....I knew something was strange and that there was more to it than that. I kept telling Dave and my parents something just didn't feel right...after, about the 50th time of doing so they were getting annoyed and to be honest so was I....I mean I had been told by doctors...many of them, family, and friends don't worry he is fine. This is why I am thankful that I have faith in the feelings Heavenly Father gives us mother's. By Saturday morning Gavin refused to eat and had 2 of these vomit spells in a row...something he has never done and it took us a lot more time and effort to get him to clear everything so he could breath. I told Dave we were going to the ER because yet again he had turned blue and I couldn't get the crap suctioned fast enough. Thank you to the ER doctor at Utah Valley for not blowing me off and doing the tests that nobody else would. When we first got there he said that it could be one of two things a bad case of reflux or pyloric stanoises (s/p) which is when the pyloric muscle between the stomach and the intestines becomes enlarged and food can't pass. After an ultrasound there was no doubt that he had pyloric....It scared me to death because this meant surgery but at the same time I couldn't say thank you enough to the doctor and was relieved we had figured out what it was. So after 5 hours at Utah Valley and praise from my husband for following my feelings, we were told we needed to go up to Primary Children's to have a repeat ultrasound and surgery the next morning.
Sunday morning we had the ultrasound at about 10 and thanks to some amazing staff who couldn't handle seeing such a little guy crying so much ( he hadn't eaten in almost 48 hours) he was bumped to the front of the line for surgery. The doctors assured me he would be ok and Dave was patient with my repeat of questions. They took my sweet boy (the hardest thing I have yet to do was hand my son over to a complete stranger and trust he was going to be safe). We sat for about 2 hours and then were able to see him. (the longest 120 minutes of my life)...The surgery is a common one, but, that isn't comforting to me when its my child. They did it through 3 tiny incisions, they went in and cut the muscle that should be about the size of a grape, but, was less than a pea. He can now eat and not throw up and he came out of surgery kicking and screaming for food. Seriously, this little guy is so strong and yet again he has taught me don't dwell on the little things. We are so lucky to live in UT (never thought I would say that)but, Primary Childrens is one of the best in the country...granted he didn't go there for something serious but, the staff there is amazing and they know just what to say at just the right time. Being there made me appreciate my family so much, it made me appreciate the health of my children. I can't tell you how many little kids I saw that had obviously been there for a while, young kids, toddlers....kids that should be outside enjoying the snow or playing with friends....they are stuck inside going through treatments, being put through hell. I saw them smiling and enjoying something as little as eating in the cafeteria or looking at the fish tanks....it really was quite the humbling experience. We took Gavin home Monday night and that is when I got the news that my Grandpa had taken a turn for the worst and wasn't expected to live through the night. At four in the morning after Dave told me I HAD to go, Addie and I followed my brother up to Pocatello to see him. He is hooked up to 12 IVs and has 6 drainage tubes going in his body, but, he is still here with us. We have not been able to see him awake they are keeping him sedated so he doesn't get upset....the fact he is still alive is a good sign and if he makes it through the next two days he is out of the worst. We are headed home tomorrow and I am praying I will be able to talk to him sometime next week. Rick, had one of his wife's uncles come up and give him a blessing....when he came out he said that during the blessing his breathing finally slowed..."that was strange" he said I just kind of smiled knowing the power of the blessings.
Its been a hard week with two of the most important men in my life being sick....but, Gavin is good and we all know my Grandpa is to stubborn to go before he wants too....so things are looking up...I need to end this blog with the lessons I have learned in the last week.






1. It is possible to live off 8 hours of sleep in 4 days...things just get a little foggy.



2. Coke doesn't have enough caffeine in it no matter how much you drink.



3. Hospital food really isn't all that bad.



4. Doctors and Nurses are amazing people



5. Don't put off calling someone if you need to, you might not get the chance to do it later.



6. The power of blessing never fails to amaze me.



7. Trust your instinct




8. Other peoples opinions don't matter...they don't walk in your shoes




9. Family is an amazing thing..




10. Enjoy the little things your kids do, even if they drive you crazy...some parents don't get the experience

2 comments:

Roylance Fam said...

I am so glad Gavin is doing better, Lucy!! Having Jenny as both of our best friend, I hear a lot of what goes on with you and actually feel like I know you so much more than I actually do!! LOl But I want you to know you guys were in my prayers, and if you ever need anything you can call me!!:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Lucy!! You are such a good example! I am so amazed at how strong you are. Definitely an inspiration!

<3