Monday, September 8, 2008

Our boy is here.....

About 4 hours before the birth...

6 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 inches long


She gave him loves but gave me a dirty look when she walked in and he was feeding..

He is a little fighter and our miracle!!!!!!

Gavin David Egan Wall was born on Friday, September 5th at 7:36 pm....My water started to break that morning but I wasn't quite sure....after talking to the doctor we decided to go in and sure enough I was leaking fluid. They started antibiotics and I got my epidural about 2 hours after being there....once they started the patosen (s/p) things moved quickly. The rest of my water sack broke and I went from a 5 to complete in half an hour....the doctor walked in (same one that delivered addie) and we made a bet on how fast he was going to be. The doctor said half an hour and I didn't have a return because that caught me off guard....Gavin came into the world 6 min later....I literally pushed about one full push and his head was out....it was amazing!!!! The cord was around his neck twice which I wasn't aware of till later....and he was a little blue. But, they said he looked good. We all got to love on him for a good 2 hours and then they took him for blood work.

That is when I realized what a special little boy I had.....The nurse came back saying one of his tests was coming back very high (I am still not quite sure what it all means so I can't really explain) but, basically he had a serious infection in his lungs and was going to be admitted to the special care nursery....Dave and I were able to go in later that night to see him and try to feed and just love our little man. At 4 that morning the neonatalogist came into my room and informed me they were now having to assist him with his breathing...he was just having to work to hard. I woke dave up and we said a prayer....it scared us both.

Later that day the doctor came in and told us everything....The infection in his lungs was causing one of them to collapse and he was now on a Cpap (the elephant looking thing in the last picture) it helps his little lungs stay open. He has a small heart murmur, that will be checked by a cardiologist from Primary Childrens tomorrow. Last but not least he showed very very subtle signs of down syndrome...so they are doing blood work on that, we won't find out those results until next week. He is a sick little baby, but, an amazing fighter.

As of noon today the pressure in the cpak has gone from a 6 to a 4 (which is good his lungs are starting to work on their own). He is starting to be able to eat through the tube in his tummy, he can have 10 cc of breast milk at a time. He is still pretty puffy around the face but they said once the mask comes of it will go away....the nurses said that he is a fiesty little guy and doesn't hesitate to let them know when he doesn't like what they are doing....which is good!!!! He has figured out how to turn his head just the right way to get the mask off and even figured out how to do it with the socks on his hands....we are in trouble when he hits Addie's age!!! I also found out that tonight Dave and I get to hold him for a half hour...it will be the first time since the night he was born...we are both so elated!!!! We have not been able to touch him since they took him, because he needs rest...so tonight is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaving him at the hospital when I was discharged was the hardest thing I have ever done...you go to the hospital to have a baby and bring him home not to leave him there for who knows how long. His nurses have all been amazing and they are all in love....we are lucky!!! He is an amazing little baby and has taught Dave and I so much in the last 3 days....We all know I am not good with pain and am quite a whiner.....I told Dave the other night that I felt selfish...I have never gone through anything my son is going through and yet he is fighting it all...I complain about back pain or cramps. Really....why? Little things in life don't matter.....there are more serious things to deal with....the thing that makes me so sad is my baby is sick yes, but, there are sicker babies out there and my heart breaks for those mother's. I never knew that such a huge life lesson could come in such a small package.....

I will keep everyone updated on his progress through the blog...thank you for all the love and support!!!!

1 comment:

Kristi H. said...

I am so happy that little Gavin is here!! He is precious and we are praying for him to be able to come home with Mommy, Daddy, and Addie very soon!!